Thursday, August 30, 2007

Six Days and Counting

Tisha is still scheduled for double mastectomy surgery Wednesday, September 5th. She is facing this with an amazing amount of bravery but understandably has fear and dread. I wish more than anything that she didn’t have to do this.

In true Metisha style though, she continues to laugh. After her sinus surgery her joke has been, “I’m not a fungi, but I’m a fungirl!” For some reason that joke makes me want Laffy Taffy. We were talking the other night about her upcoming recovery and discussing the irony of her cancer treatment: When she was in chemo, she physically could shave her legs, but had no hair to shave. After mastectomy surgery, she will have hair to shave but won’t be able to move her arms!

Speaking of hair, IT IS GROWING!!! Yeah!!! Tish says there are a few hairs on her head that are almost long enough to lie over! This is very exciting!

Keep up with that strong prayer support as Tisha faces this step. Pray for the skills of the surgeons and for minimal scarring. Pray for Mark and Metisha’s mom Barbara as they help Metisha during recovery. Pray for no side affects from the surgery. They will be removing some of her sentinel lymph nodes and this could cause permanent swelling in her arm. Pray hard that this does not occur. Pray that her recovery will be quick and easy. Pray for her emotional strength and peace as she faces the physical result of the mastectomy.
Continue to know how thankful Metisha and her family are for all of your support, care and prayers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey fungirl!
I am amazed at your strength and just the way you handle yourself at school. I am so glad summer is over and I can see you everyday, or every other day as the case may be! You know we are all praying for you and will continue to do so. Also, we WILL be planning to visit you at home whenever you are ready. We'll bring that Strawberry Shortcake cake and the party favors!!
We love you, Metisha! Stay Strong!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey Metisha, I know several brave women that have faced what you are facing. They came through tougher and better women at the end. Like those women you will rise above and come out stronger in the end. My best wishes and many thoughts and prayers going your way,
R Guhl

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I'm still here if you need me. It's been 8 months since my double mastectomy. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask! I know you have lots of support and love, but if you're just needing someone who's been there done that, I'm here. You'll be just fine through this. You'll be great. Keep SMILING!!
Kari

Tracy said...

I love fungi jokes!

Metisha, you rock and are an inspiration. We are praying for the surgery to go smoothly and a quick recovery. I am so excited about your new hair too!

I wish I could be there for the Strawberry Shortcake party too!

Love and Hugs,
Tracy