Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Worst Gift

Metisha just hasn’t had that great of a week so I decided I wanted to try to cheer her up a little today and send her a surprise. Instead of going with the traditional flowers, I decided to send her a fruit bouquet. Its bright and cheery, fun and different and healthy; the perfect gift. So I got online and schedule one to be delivered to her today at school. I was feeling good about my little surprise for about 5 minutes and then it hit me. Metisha’s throat is completely raw from radiation and she just told me last night she can only have liquids and I just sent her acidic, hard fruit! A quick phone call to Mom confirmed that fruit was not on the diet this week. So I tried to cancel the order but couldn’t get anywhere so I finally came to the resolution that she could maybe, maybe use the fruit to make a fresh smoothie.

I waited all afternoon for the certain sarcastic text from Metisha which I never got so I decided to call her and fess up. And that’s when I realized that I had screwed up again. I forgot Metisha had radiation today and had to leave school early so now the fruit basket is probably sitting on her desk, wilting away so she can walk in tomorrow morning to a sagging, probably dripping, dead bouquet of fruit with a happy face balloon floating above. Yes, this is the worst gift ever! Apparently I’m cursed when it comes to giving Tisha gifts. One Christmas I gave her a really nice hair blow dryer, 3 months before she lost her hair to chemo!

When I confessed my stupidity to Metisha, she had a really good laugh so I guess I did accomplish my goal of providing her with some cheer. Then she told me she was going to send me a bag a sugar (I’m diabetic).

So I’m hoping they either canceled my order, didn’t deliver it today, or someone at school put it in the fridge for her. But if not, at least there’s a smiley face balloon.

2 comments:

Christie said...

It's the thought that counts, right? :)

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! I loved her comment about sugar! You are an awesome sister and I am sure Metisha enjoyed the laugh more than anything! I know I am far away but if I can do anything, let me know.
Jessica Harnett Nickels