Monday, April 2, 2007

Countdown to the Race

We are less than 5 days away from the big Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and the nerves are kicking in. I find myself wrestling with pre-race doubt. Did I train enough? What is the optimum pre-race meal that will contain the perfect balance of sustaining proteins and energy packed carbohydrates? Will my tennis shoes match the t-shirt? But on Saturday, when 28 Welsh Warriors walk among 25,000 competitors, I know all the hard work will be rewarded!

I’m very proud of my fellow Welsh Warriors. We have raised over $2800 for the fight against cancer! However there is suspicion regarding the intentions of some participants. I won’t mention any names (Bryce Overstreet) but some did not join the team until they learned there would be 25,000 competitors, most of whom will be female. Others of us (Mom) seem to be hoarding pledges (even if it means raising more than their daughter with cancer) because they think they will get a prize for raising the most money. And then there are the other 24 of us who just wanted a free t-shirt!

Of course I’m kidding! 26 people consisting of family, friends, co-workers and students will walk beside Metisha and Mark on Saturday simply because we love them, we support them, and we want to fight with them through this battle. But the free t-shirt is a nice bonus! :)

Metisha has continued to be amazed at the circle of support that is building around her. It has been so much fun to see posts on this blog from old basketball teammates and former rivals that Tish thinks we need to have a Frontier Basketball Camp reunion! Anyone for some cut throat, 10:00 pm games and bad cafeteria food? I’m putting Metisha’s e-mail below her picture so you can send her e-mail. She would love to catch up with everyone! But don’t stop posting to the blog – we want to keep laughing together and encouraging each other here at Metisha’s Ta Ta blog!

As always, continue to pray with us. We are praying specifically that the high hillbilly count is resolved quickly and is not an issue, the chemo will completely destroy every cancer cell in these first three rounds and that Metisha will continue to not get sick from the chemo. And we thank God every day that he is the ultimate physician and for each of you who is praying with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the race this weekend. Sounds like there is just a tiny bit of competition! Metisha, I hope your treatment went well last Wed.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Jill (KLiewer) McGraw

"Accept everythig about yourself-I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end-no apologies, no regrets. Acceptance is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune."
William James

Anonymous said...

I wanted to walk last year in the race but I was too sick from the chemo. I'm so proud of you guys for doing that! And I'm proud of you, Metisha, for being strong and brave! You're doing great and I look forward to reading about the race!